To Make your own dryer sheets, however, I have a solution!
Commercial dryer sheets contain a lot of "fragrance" chemicals that absorb into your body when you put your clothes on. The EPA has even classified a lot of them of cancer causing.. but to be fair what DOESNT cause cancer these days? Well thats actually why WE are here!
I found this list HERE that shows you what the main chemicals are and what they do. (That website also has a list of green alternatives!)
- ALPHA-TERPINEOL- Causes CNS (Central Nervous System) disorders and is highly irritating to mucus membranes.
- BENZYL ACETATE- Carcinogenic (linked to pancreatic cancer).
- BENZYL ALCOHOL- Causes CNS disorders. It is irritating to the upper respiratory tract” causing “headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure.
- CAMPHOR- Causes CNS disorders.
- CHLOROFORM- Toxic. It is an anesthetic and carcinogenic.
- ETHYL ACETATE- Narcotic. This product is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract.
- LINALOOL- Narcotic. Causes DNS disorder, respiratory disturbances.
- PENTANE-”Danger-Harmful if inhaled; extremely flammable.
You'll see a lot of cancer and respiratory disorders on this list, which is upsetting as well as ironic because you just want your clothes to smell good, right? That smell is killing you? LAME!
Heres a crafty recipe to make your own dryer sheets!
You'll need your trusty essential oils of your preference and old clothes or cloth to cut up.
Cut cotton cloth into small squares. Add a few drops of essential oil to the cloth and throw it in the dryer with your next load. They should last about 2 or 3 loads, each time adding 3 more drops of your favorite essential oil.
Experiment with different smells, and enjoy!
Its funzies because you know EXACTLY what you'll be wearing and what will be touching your skin. Have fun with it!