Pinterest meta tag

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Homemade laundry detergent!

Well I FINALLY ran out of detergent so I can try this!

Its really easy and super cheap. If you're broke, just go green!

This page shows the following breakdown of prices:


  • Arm & Hammer® liquid 100 ounce detergent – $6.79 – 32 loads = $0.21 per load
  • Tide® with Bleach powder 267 ounce detergent – $20.32 – 95 loads = $0.21 per load
  •  Homemade powder 32 ounce detergent – $2.98 – 64 loads = $0.05 per load
  • As you can see, whether I compare against traditional store bought liquid or powder, I am saving $0.16 per load!

    So heres how to do it:

    Youll need:

    • 1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap
    • 1/2 cup Borax 
    • 1 cup Washing soda
    • approx. 3-4 gallons of Water
    • A bucket that holds about 4 or more gallons. Preferably with a lid.
    • Your favorite Essential oil (optional)
    1. Put about 4 cups of water on the stove to boil.
    2. While waiting for that to boil grate the bar soap.
    3. When the water boils throw the soap in a little at a time so it breaks down. Stir until fully dissolved
    4. Put about 3 gallons of water into the bucket. You can also add the optional essential oil at this point for extra cleaning or fragrance! I prefer orange because its easy to make myself, and smells fresh.. plush no one seems to smell enough like oranges these days!
    5. Throw the soap soup and rest of ingredients into the bucket - mix thoroughly and wait about 24 hours.
    6. BA-DA-BOOM - DETERGENT! I filled old detergent bottles that Ive been saving up with this concoction and its pretty amazing! Im very satisfied with myself! I love when a project comes together and I can have a little more pride in my home care abilities!

    2 comments:

    1. I have done something similar as a powder for my front loading washer with Borax, washing soda and Ivory soap. Works wonderfully and is low sudsing.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I make a powder recipe but know a lot of people who do the liquid like yours (I'm too lazy!). Borax, washing soda, baking soda, Dr Bronner's bar soap (I used to use FelsNaptha for years but buy from Vitacost now and its super cheap!). I sometimes add essential oil but not always. I use 1 TBSP per load and one recipe lasts a couple months for us!

      ReplyDelete